Have you always wanted that perfect beach body? Have you tried various forms of exercise and dieting without any success? With summer just around the corner many people have asked me “how can I get toned?” and “how do I get a beach body?” The answer is simple ……….… Pilates!
Pilates is great for toning and body shape. Many of the exercises work on developing our core muscles that can help us gain a flat stomach, round bum and defined shoulders. Many celebrities such as Kate Hudson, Jennifer Aniston and Pink have all expressed Pilates exercises is a way for them to stay fit, toned and ready for any red carpet event!
Pilates can help you stand taller, feel lighter and look leaner. My top 5 exercises for toning/body shape include:
- Abdominal prep- When performed correctly abdominal prep is an excellent way to get the abs of your dreams! The Ab prep exercise is more effective and a lot safer than similar abdominal sit-up or crunch exercises! You can use oblique prep exercises to compliment this exercise to work all areas of the stomach, getting those defined cuts you have longed for.
- Shoulder bridge- The shoulder bridge exercise when also focussing on glute activation is an excellent way to tone your stomach, waist and bum. This is one of my personal favourites as it is easily adaptable by adding in equipment or additional arm/ leg movements to make it extra challenging. When talking about an exercise that works your body fully, this is the one!
- Swimming level 4- Targeting your abdominals, glutes and shoulder muscles swimming level 4 (or what I like to call the “Superman”) is great for a whole body toning exercise. I Love this exercise because it also challenges your balance and coordination. It looks a lot easier than it is, trust me.
- Clams- focusing on your glute, clam exercises are a great way to increase the strength, shape and size of your gluteus muscles. Ever feel that your bum, isn’t round despite all the squats you do; well give the clam a try and see the change in your shape. Clam exercises can be adapted to suit all abilities with the addition of various equipment such as weights and resistance bands.
- Pilates press up- the Pilates press up is a great way to tone your shoulders and arms while also working on your core muscles. Many people get scared by the word “press up” but no fear our Pilates instructors are able to advise the correct intensity of press up exercises to suit you while making sure that you have the correct form to target the right muscles and prevent injury.
So what are you waiting for? Don’t let another summer pass you by where you feel uncomfortable taking your bathing suit cover-up or shirt off; and get started with your first Pilates class today!